By Ron Hill
Capt. Thomas, owner of Thomas Art Manufacturing, built his Victorian home on a 27-acre lot at 119 West Main Street, Amelia in 1898. Three-quarters of the house was built of Oak. The library was made of Walnut.
The second owner (1913) was Harvey Fuller who worked in the lumber business in Amelia. The house has a hidden closet/room, hidden shelves and cabinets which have lead to the legend that the house was a speakeasy during the Prohibition Era of the 1920’s and 1930’s. The house at one time had a basement garage and a tennis court on the east lawn.
The house had many owners/tenants over the year. In the 1950s Amelia Mayor Robert Groh took up residents. The McGill and Smith, Engineers and Architects, called the building home for a long period time. In the 1990s it became the Werline Studios, the studio for several artist. The Clermont Leadership Institute’s offices were in the building.
AMELIA VILLAGE COUNCIL BUYS HOUSE
The Amelia Village Council bought the house, 3.9-acres, several outbuildings and a wooden deck overlooking a small stream in October 2014 for $450,000. The village council will move their offices to this location in the next few months. A museum of Amelia history is planned. Plans are also being developed for a community park with walking trails.