Cleveland, Ohio was founded by Moses Cleaveland in 1796 at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River, and has boasted a population of over 900,000 at times. But we know of the other Cleveland, here in Clermont County, Ohio, around the intersection of SR 125 (Ohio Pike) and SR 132.
Two railroads linked the community with neighboring towns and Cincinnati. The Inter-Urban Railway and Transit Co., or the Black Line as it was commonly known, began in downtown Cincinnati and had its Suburban line run down the Ohio Pike to Bethel. It was an electric traction line, with its main power plant at Coney Island. The Cincinnati Georgetown, and Portsmouth (CG&P) RR entered Clermont County, Ohio at Clough Pike, and made a southerly turn from Batavia to Amelia, and then beyond. It reached this spot in 1877. The gravel and mud road known as the Ohio Turnpike, or the Old State Road then supported the foot and hoof transportation link. At this major transportation intersection of Clermont County, we find Aaron Cleveland and Cleveland’s Station.
Mr. Cleveland was descended from pioneer settlers in Clermont County. He could draw from his experience in Batavia as proprietor of the stage-coach line, or “buss” line, that ran from Cincinnati to Batavia, then Bethel, and on to Georgetown, for a three hour trip.
In his little town, he was the proprietor the sawmill and grist mill, and was involved in a fruit-drying business. These types of business, of course, relied on reliable transportation, and who better to manage the station than Mr. Cleveland?
Like so many small towns, it prospered with nearby businesses, hotel, and numerous stores up and down the Ohio Turnpike. At some point, business probably warranted the need for a post office. However, the name “Cleveland” was already taken. This little town was just a “hamlet” in comparison, a small, rural settlement. The community of Hamlet, as it is designated, has never been incorporated, and in fact, sits split by S.R. 125 between Batavia Twp. and Pierce Twp.
The Black Line RY was gone in 1918, and the CG&P RR stopped operating a few years later. Ohio Pike was paved in the area of Amelia around 1920.
Hamlet, Ohio can now be identified as a rather major shopping area, with Kroger, Walmart, and more, with ‘ a few residences out in the country’.